Lets learn to make chhole which tastes much better than the restaurant one.
*If you don’t want to use onion-garlic then simply omit them and follow the rest of the method as it is.Ingredients
Chhole 1 cup
Tea leaves 1 tsp(optional)
Oil 3 Tbsp
Ginger ½ inch piece
Green chilli 2
Spices powders list 1 (mix all the spices together in a bowl)
Ajwain(carom seeds) ¼ tsp
Black pepper ¼ tsp
Cardamom ¼ tsp
Clove ¼ tsp
Cinnamon ¼ tsp
Bay leaf 1
Turmeric 1 tsp
Red chilli 1 tsp
Coriander 1 tsp
Cumin 1 tsp
Sugar 1 tsp
Spices powders list 2 (mix all the spices together in a bowl)
Kasoori methi 1 tsp (roasted on griddle for 30 seconds and crushed)
Dry mango (Amchur) 1 tsp
Garam masala ½ tsp
Black salt ¼ tsp
Salt as per taste
- Soak chhole for 7-8 hours.
- Boil them along with 2 cups of water , 1 tsp turmeric and tea leaves tied in a cloth(you can use tea bag instead).
- When pressure settles down, mash them a little and keep aside.
- Heat oil if a pan and add mixed spices of list 1.
- Sauté for less than a minute.
- Add grinded tomato-onion paste.
- When oil separates from the paste, add mixed spices of list 2.
- Fry for a minute.
- Add 1 cup of water and check the consistency.
- Simmer cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with sliced onions.(optional)
- If you want thick gravy then peel, cut and boil one potato along with chhole at step 2.
- If grinding raw onions make your gravy bitter then just grate them separately otherwise blench them before grinding. This means boil the onions(cut in small pieces) in ½ cup water for 2-3 minutes, drain the water and then grind the onions.
A note from Author :
The food which is available outside can not be as hygienic and safe as you can prepare it at home with love for your kids and family but at the same time the truth is that cooking becomes very tiring when you do it daily. So as much as I love to cook food myself for my family, I like to keep the recipe very short and simple yet the taste is amazing. This saves my time and gives me satisfaction too. Here I am sharing my recipes with you. Please try them out and let me know. Don’t forget to rate the recipe below. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Happy cooking!! 🙂