Dal makhani is a very popular dish of North India. It belongs to panjabi cuisine. I always enjoy eating dal makhani at a road side dhaba in and around Delhi 😉 whenever I visit there. It goes well with naan, chapati, paratha, rice etc. Let’s see how to make it.
Whole black urid daal 2 cup
Rajma( Kidney beans) 2 Tbsp
*Wash and soak both the lentils for 7-8 hours.
Ginger 1 inch piece
Onion 1 big
Green chilli 2
Tomato 1 big
* Grind the ingredients above (in yellow) together.
Garlic 1 tsp (grated)
Cream (or malai) ½ cup (optional)
*Spices and tempering are mentioned in the “Method” below.
- Add turmeric powder (¼ tsp) and salt to each lentil and pressure cook them saperately.
- Mash them a little.
- Heat Ghee/Oil (2 Tbsp) in a fry pan then add the below ingredients on medium-low flame
Cumin seeds (1 tsp) → garlic paste → grinded Tomato-Onion paste → turmeric powder (½ tsp) → Red chilli powder (½ tsp) → Sugar (1 tsp)
- Cook for 5-6 minutes. (till the oil get saperated)
- Add the cream (or malai) on low flame and cook for 1 minute. (optional)
- Add the lentils.
- Check the consistency.(Add more water if needed)
- Bring to boil.
- Add garam masala (½ tsp )and salt (to taste).
- You can add ½ tsp Dry mango powder (amchur) (optional)
- Cook on low flame for 5-6 minutes.
- Garnish dal makhani with cream and coriander leaves.
If grinding raw onions make your gravy bitter then you can simply grate them. Otherwise blench them before grinding, which means boil the onions(cut in small pieces) in ½ cup water for 2-3 minutes, drain the water and then grind the onions.
A note from Author :
The food which is available outside can not be as hygienic and safe as you can prepare it at home with love for your kids and family but at the same time the truth is that cooking becomes very tiring when you do it daily. So as much as I love to cook food myself for my family, I like to keep the recipe very short and simple yet the taste is amazing. This saves my time and gives me satisfaction too. Here I am sharing my recipes with you. Please try them out and let me know. Don’t forget to rate the recipe below. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Happy cooking!! 🙂