Dal tadka belongs to North Indian cuisine. It is a lentil soup made with yellow moong dal. It goes well with rice , chapati or parantha.
*if you don’t want to use onion-garlic then simply omit them and follow the rest of the method as it is.
Yellow moong daal 1 cup
Masoor daal 2 Tbsp (optional)
*Wash and soak both the lentils for 2-3 hours.
Turmeric Powder 1 tsp
Asafetida ¼ tsp
Ginger 1 tsp (grated)
Onion 1 big (cut into small pieces)
Green chilli 2-3 (cut into halves)
Tomato 1 big (cut into small pieces)
*Spices and tempering are mentioned in the “Method” below.
- Pressure cook all the ingredients along with 3 cups of water till 2 whistles.
- Add sugar (1 tsp), garam masala (½ tsp )and salt (to taste)
- Mash daals.
- Check the consistency.(Add hot water if needed and again bring to boil. Turn of gas.)
- Do the Tempering :
Heat Ghee/Oil (2 Tbsp) in a pan then fry the below ingredients on low flame (don’t burn them.)
Cumin seeds (1 tsp) → dry red chilli (1) → Garlic (5-6 pods,cut into small pieces) → Red chilli powder (½ tsp) → Asafoetida ( ¼ tsp)
- Pour the tempering into pressure cooker and cover with the lid.
- Keep it covered for 4-5 minutes
- Let the daal infused with aroma.
- Garnish dal tadka with coriander leaves.
A note from Author :
The food which is available outside can not be as hygienic and safe as you can prepare it at home with love for your kids and family but at the same time the truth is that cooking becomes very tiring when you do it daily. So as much as I love to cook food myself for my family, I like to keep the recipe very short and simple yet the taste is amazing. This saves my time and gives me satisfaction too. Here I am sharing my recipes with you. Please try them out and let me know. Don’t forget to rate the recipe below. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Happy cooking!! 🙂