Rajasthani dal is a lentil soup made with five lentils. It is generally prepared with Dal-Bati, one of the speciality of Rajasthan India. It is very tasty and also very easy to make.
List 1 :
Chana dal 1 Tbsp (Bengal gram lentils) (washed and soaked for 2 hours)
Moong dal ¼ cup (green,split)
Toor dal ¼ cup (Pigeon pea lentils)
Urid dal 2 Tbsp
Masoor dal 1 Tbsp (optional)
* Mix and wash all the lentils (dals).
Green chilli 2 (cut into 3 pieces each)
Ginger 1 tsp (grated)
Tomatoes 2 (cut into small pieces)
Cinnamon sticks 2 small
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
Asafoetida ¼ tsp
List 2 :
Ghee 3 Tbsp
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Red chilli powder 1 tsp
Sugar 1 tsp (optional)
Garam masala ¼ tsp
Salt as required
- Mix and pressure cook all the ingredients of ‘List 1’ with 2 cups of water.
- Mash a little and Check for consistency (add more hot water if required).
- Add sugar, garam masala and salt.
- Bring dal to boil, simmer cook for 2 minutes and keep aside.
- (Now from ‘List 2’ ) Heat Ghee in a fry pan.
- Crackle cumin seeds. Turn off gas.
- Add Red chilli powder and and pinch of asafoetida.
- Pour it over cooked lentils.
- Garnish rajasthani dal or panchratna dal with coriander leaves,
- Keep ½ lemon piece alongside dal while serving.
If you want to use Onion and Garlic then
- at step 1 pressure cook 1 big onion(cut into small pieces) along with dals and spices.
- after step 6 fry chopped garlic (4-5 pods) in ghee.
A note from Author :
The food which is available outside can not be as hygienic and safe as you can prepare it at home with love for your kids and family but at the same time the truth is that cooking becomes very tiring when you do it daily. So as much as I love to cook food myself for my family, I like to keep the recipe very short and simple yet the taste is amazing. This saves my time and gives me satisfaction too. Here I am sharing my recipes with you. Please try them out and let me know. Don’t forget to rate the recipe below. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Happy cooking!! 🙂