Rajma is also known as kidney beans in english. It belongs to panjabi cuisine and very popular dish in North India. Rajma chawal ( rajma with rice ) is the best combination and is liked by everyone. It is very easy to prepare. Let’s see how to make it.
*If you don’t want to use onion-garlic then simply omit them and follow the rest of the method as it is.Ingredients
Rajma (Kidney beans) 1 cup
Chana dal (Bengal gram dal) 2 Tbsp
*Wash and soak both lentils for 7-8 hours.
List 1 :
Onion 1 (small size, cut into small pieces)
Garlic 4 pods (cut in small pieces)
Turmeric ¼ tsp
Salt 1 tsp
List 2 : (grind all four together)
Green chilli 2
Ginger ½ inch
Spices (powder) : Turmeric, Coriander, Cumin, Red chilli.
Other spices : Garam masala, salt.
Cream ¼ cup (optional)
Sugar 1 tsp (optional)
*Tempering is mentioned in the method.
- Pressure cook Lentils + “List 1” + 2 cups water.
- Take 6-7 whistles on low flame.
- Mash a little and keep aside.
- In a fry pan, heat Oil (2 Tbsp)
- Crackle cumin seeds (1 tsp)
- Add grinded “List 2” paste.
- Cook till oil saperates on medium-low flame.
- Add Turmeric powder (1/2 tsp) , Coriander and Cumin powder (1 tsp each), Red chilli powder (1 tsp) , Sugar (1 tsp)
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add cream on low flame.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Add Rajma .
- Add water (check consistency)
- Bring to boil.
- Simmer cook for 5 minutes.
- Add Garam masala (1 tsp) and salt.
- Garnish Rajma with 1 tsp ghee and coriander leaves.
If grinding raw onions make your gravy bitter then you can grate them. Otherwise blench them before grinding, which means boil the onions(cut in small pieces) in ½ cup water for 2-3 minutes, drain the water and then grind the onions.
A note from Author :
The food which is available outside can not be as hygienic and safe as you can prepare it at home with love for your kids and family but at the same time the truth is that cooking becomes very tiring when you do it daily. So as much as I love to cook food myself for my family, I like to keep the recipe very short and simple yet the taste is amazing. This saves my time and gives me satisfaction too. Here I am sharing my recipes with you. Please try them out and let me know. Don’t forget to rate the recipe below. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Happy cooking!! 🙂