Toor dal is known as pigeon pea lentils in english. It is the most common variety of dal in every household in India. It goes well with chapati and rice too. It is very quick and easy to make. Dal always tastes best if the tempering is done with ghee (clarified butter). Let’s see how to make it.
Toor dal 1 cup (pigeon pea lentils) *Washed and soaked for 30 minutes.
Spice Powders :
Turmeric 1 tsp
Red chilli ¾ tsp
Coriander ½ tsp
Dry mango ½ tsp
Asafoetida ¼ – ½ tsp
Sugar 1 tsp
Garam masala ¾ tsp
Salt as per taste
* Mix all the spice powders and make a thick paste using little water.
**Tempering is included in the method.
- Pressure cook dal with 2 cups of water.
- Mash a little and keep aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp ghee in a fry pan.
- Crackle Cumin seeds (1 tsp)
- Add spices paste and fry for 1 minute.
- Add dal and 1 cup of water.
- Check the consistency (Add more water if needed.)
- Boil and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish toor dal with coriander leaves.
Note : If you want to use onion and garlic or make it like Dal Tadka then prepare it like Moong Dal Tadka(click here). Just replace moong dal with toor dal in that recipe.
A note from Author :
The food which is available outside can not be as hygienic and safe as you can prepare it at home with love for your kids and family but at the same time the truth is that cooking becomes very tiring when you do it daily. So as much as I love to cook food myself for my family, I like to keep the recipe very short and simple yet the taste is amazing. This saves my time and gives me satisfaction too. Here I am sharing my recipes with you. Please try them out and let me know. Don’t forget to rate the recipe below. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Happy cooking!! 🙂