What are antibiotics : Antibiotics are a type of medication that slow down or destroy the growth of bacteria, a microscopic organism that may cause illness. Antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infection but if overused then bacteria may become resistant. Antibiotics sure have side effects that’s why it is the best practice to use natural antibiotics to treat bacterial infections first.
Now that you know what are antibiotics , let me tell you about two natural antibiotics Garlic and Turmeric that have no side effects. Let’s understand about how to use them in detail.
Garlic is one food that you should eat every day because it is antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal. It should be eaten raw and fresh to provide you its maximum health benefits.
Garlic contains a chemical called allin, which is converted into allicin when you chew/crush fresh garlic clove. Allicin is the most powerful antioxidant. It reacts quickly with free radicals and destroys them.
Free radicals are created in our body due to many factors like digestion, environmental toxins etc. They can damage the cells and even DNA thus raise the risk of cancer and other diseases including hormonal acne.
Click here to read more about Free Radicals and Antioxidants. (Must read)
How to eat garlic
Crush or grate one garlic clove. Wait for just 5-6 minutes before mixing it into your food so allin can get converted into allicin, which decomposes very fast once it is formed.
Try to eat it raw but if you cant handle or need to add garlic on the flame then must add in the end of the recipe and cook it for very little time.
Never get tempted to eat more than 1 or 2 cloves per day. It may generate excess heat in the body or may cause some other unpleasing side effects.
Health benefits of garlic
- Garlic improves cholesterol levels, which may lower the risk of heart disease.
- Garlic works like a natural antibiotic against bacteria and unlike antibiotics, no resistance can be built up so it is absolutely safe to use.
- It can prevent Acne. (Of course it is natural antibiotic!)
- It can lower the risk of Cancer.
Garlic For Acne
Apart from eating it, some people also advice to put garlic juice on cystic acne but
- You must dilute it with water before applying it on acne as it can burn your skin badly.
- Ratio should be one small clove to ½ cup water.
- Apply only to the affected area using cotton bud and wash off after 10 minutes.
Note: Results may vary from person to person but if you find it uncomfortable in any way that stop using it immediately.
Turmeric is a spice used in Indian cuisine since ages. It is a very powerful anti-inflammatory medicine. It is used to treat cold, chest congestion, headaches, menstrual problems, lung infection, infected wounds and much more.
The best method to consume turmeric is : Bring a glass of milk to boil then mix 1 tsp turmeric powder in it. Keep boiling on simmer until it remains 3/4 glass. Drink it as warm as you can handle. Remember not to eat or drink anything half an hour before and an hour after the milk. It is best to consume it just before going to bed in the night.
Alternatively you can also boil 3/4 tsp turmeric powder and a pinch of salt in 1/2 cup of water for one minute and drink it either twice a day or just before going to bed, depends on your requirement/condition.
- Remember to handle turmeric with caution as it can cause stubborn stains on your hands and cloths.
- Turmeric powder is available to any Indian grocery shop but it is always best to use the homemade powder made by grinding the dried turmeric at home.
- If you can not find the dry turmeric powder then you can use grated raw turmeric too which is easily available in supermarkets.
- You can give half of the quantity mentioned above or even less to the children, depends on their age.
However there are diseases which can not be cured without chemical antibiotics but we can avoid many diseases by including foods that are natural antibiotics in our diet.
If you like this article on what are antibiotics and use of some natural antibiotics , please rate it below.