Kara kuzhambu is a very tasty south indian recipe. It is one of my favourite dish. I don’t need any other side dish for rice with kara kuzhambu. let’s see how to prepare it.
Onion 2 (cut in medium size pieces)
Garlic 10 (cut in 3-4 pieces)
Brinjal 4 medium size (cut in medium size pieces)
Seedless Tamarind 1 Tbsp (soak and extract pulp using 2 cups of water)
Mustard seeds ½ tsp
Curry leaves 9-10
Fenugreek seeds ½ tsp (*methidana or methi seeds)
Salt as per taste
Gingelly oil 2.5 Tbsp (*sesame oil)
List 1 :
Chana dal 1 Tbsp (*Bengal gram dal)
Dry red chilli 2 (broken into halves)
Onion 1 big (cut in 8 pieces)
Tomato 1 (cut in 8 pieces)
Fresh coconut 1 Tbsp (grated)
Sambhar powder 2-3 Tbsp
- In a fry pan fry List 1 ingredients as below :
Heat 1 tsp oil → fry Chana dal → fry dry red chillies → fry Onion(till translucent) → fry Tomato (till mushy) → add Coconut and Sambhar powder → fry for 2 minutes → grind this when cools down → Keep aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in another pan. Crackle Mustard seed, Curry leaves and fenugreek seeds. (Don’t burn them)
- To this add onions and garlic. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add Brinjals and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add Tamarind pulp, Turmeric powder (½ tsp) and 1 cup water.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce the flame and cook till Brinjals turn soft.
- Add the Tomato-Onion paste.(prepared at step 1)
- Add 1 cup of water and check the consistency.
- Add salt.
- Bring to boil and simmer cook for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy kara kuzhambu with rice.
you can make this Kozhambu with drumstick or beans also. You can also prepare it only with onion and garlic without using any other vegetables.
You can add Jaggery (1 tsp) if you like.
You can adjust quantity of coconut according to your taste.
You can also add khus-khus(1 tsp) while grinding the tomato-onion paste.
A note from Author :
The food which is available outside can not be as hygienic and safe as you can prepare it at home with love for your kids and family but at the same time the truth is that cooking becomes very tiring when you do it daily. So as much as I love to cook food myself for my family, I like to keep the recipe very short and simple yet the taste is amazing. This saves my time and gives me satisfaction too. Here I am sharing my recipes with you. Please try them out and let me know. Don’t forget to rate the recipe below. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Happy cooking!! 🙂