Sambhar is a speciality of South India and is one of my favourite lentil soup. It goes well with rice, dosa , idli , sambhar vada , upma… i don’t think the list would end so I should say sambhar goes well with so many south indian dishes 😀 After lots of trial and error finally I figured out the perfect method to prepare sambhar. Its perfect hotel style !!
Toor dal 1 cup (wash and pressure cook it with 3 cups of water)
Tamarind (seedless) 1 Tbsp (soak in 1 cup of water and extract pulp)
Sambhar masala 2 Tbsp (click here for recipe)
Jaggery 1 tsp (optional)
Salt as required
Vegetables(Cut in small pieces): 5 Brinjals, 1 Carrot, 1 Potato, 1 Onion, 2 Tomatoes
*Spices are mentioned in the “Method” below.
1. Heat oil (2 Tbsp) in a pan. Add rest of the ingredients as below on medium-low flame:
Cracle Mustard seeds(½ tsp) → Urad dal (1 tsp) → saute for less than a minute → add Onions → curry leaves (4-5) → asafoetida (½ tsp) → saute for 2 minutes.
2. Add all other vegetables except tomatoes. (Saute for 4-5 minutes.)
3. Add Tomatoes + Jaggery + Salt . (Saute for 6-7 minutes.)
4. Add Water (1 cup ) and Tamarind Pulp.
5. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes. (keep stirring at regular intervals)
6. Add Sambhar masala.
7. Add mashed dal. (if needed, add hot water for desired consistency.)
8. Simmer for 5 minutes.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- You can add drumsticks if you want in vegetables.
- It tastes best if you use home made sambhar masala.
- Urid dal is skinned and split black lentils.
- Toor dal is pigeon pea lentils.
A note from Author :
The food which is available outside can not be as hygienic and safe as you can prepare it at home with love for your kids and family but at the same time the truth is that cooking becomes very tiring when you do it daily. So as much as I love to cook food myself for my family, I like to keep the recipe very short and simple yet the taste is amazing. This saves my time and gives me satisfaction too. Here I am sharing my recipes with you. Please try them out and let me know. Don’t forget to rate the recipe below. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Happy cooking!! 🙂